Re: Q: Classpath and Eclipse

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Q: Classpath and Eclipse
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:23:47 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:21:14AM +0100, Patrik Reali wrote:
> Has anybody already tried to import classpath under Eclipse? I tried to
> create a project and import the files, but then Eclipse is far too
> intelligent:
> * gnu/java/lang classes are imported into package java.lang
> * vm/reference/java/lang classes are imported into package vm.java.lang
>
> Probably I'm just doing something wrong.... (I'm using Eclipse 3.0M4)

Eclipse is trying to be much to smart and it doesn't seem as flexible as
we want it to be.
Some of this might be my inexprience with using the Eclipse JDT though.

It seems to want to insist on using a multiple project layout if your
filesystem has multiple source directories that contain classes that
belong in the same package (combining java and vm/reference/java).
It has its own exclusion mechanism (you want to use the lib/standard.omit
file).
You have to remove the standard JRE libraries (since the kaffe or gcj
standard libraries are slightly different, which you will notice when
trying to compile the VMinterface classes).
We have things like gnu.classpat.Configure which is generated in the obejct
tree and doesn't live in the source tree.

It does support some Ant trickery, but I haven't gotten that to work
yet (mostly Ant being to smart and trying to call all kinds of com.sun
classes. Sigh...). Since the CDT seems to have some Makefile support we
might be able to hack on that to get the Classpath build structure working.
That has the advantage of integrating the build with our JNI C stuff.
I don't know how easy it for Eclipse to parse the error output of external
tools (like emacs can). If that is possible then we could still use our
own Makefile structure and use the standalone eclipse java compiler that
Anthony Green created for the RHUG project (he calls it ecj and it is
faster then jikes! - compiled with gcj to a native binary of course).

What I ended up doing was making an empty java project and then creating
a directory structure in it with symlinks to the java files in my classpath
source and object directory. It works and the eclipse java compiler points
out some errors/warnings that weren't showing with jikes or gcj. It is
also nice for "cleaning up" import statements. But far to slow under gij
for such a big project (but the positive news is that it does work).
We really have to get a native gcj compiled 3.0 working (just haven't tried
since I still have some troubles with the interpreted one, see the gcj
mailinglist).

More positive news: gij + Eclipse 3.0 M4 + java-gnome bindings + gnome plugin
wizard seem to work quite nicely. More info (and screenshots!) when I have
better internet access.

Cheers,

Mark