Need GUI (again), gauging interest in an alternative approach.

From: Matt Welland
Subject: Need GUI (again), gauging interest in an alternative approach.
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:26:52 -0400

I've been using IUP with Chicken for years. I really enjoy using it (thanks Thomas!). But, here we are, over 10 years later and IUP is still not available as an official Debian package and it is a burden to deploy. It is also still not supported on Mac.

So, I'm scouting around (again) for alternatives and I'm starting to lean towards using Godot for my next project. Godot + Chicken scheme that is. I'm hoping that I can deploy  to mac, Linux and Windows and maybe even android without too much pain.

Here is an article that makes the case for using Godot for graphical user interfaces:

https://medium.com/swlh/what-makes-godot-engine-great-for-advance-gui-applications-b1cfb941df3b

I can achieve what I need with any one of three approaches:

1. Godot <==> chicken executable, where the connection could be tcp, http or similar.

2. Godot <==> chicken .so file

3. Chicken <==> godot egg

I don't have time or expertise to do an egg without help. Before I start working using option 1 or 2 I wanted to ask the chicken community if there was interest in collaborating on creating a godot egg.

Thanks!

NOTE: If hypergiant had a widget library with a decent text widget (line wrapping, copy/paste to the OS etc.) I'd have considered it. Raylib was also interesting and it's text support might have been adequate but the egg was never published and seems abandoned.

--
Complexity is your enemy. Any fool can make something complicated.
It is hard to keep things simple. - Richard Branson.