Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-iup - progressing nicely but have problem wi

From: Stephen Eilert
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-iup - progressing nicely but have problem with canvas-draw
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 10:58:00 -0200

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
What do you think of my idea of dropping even GNU make for MSVC support
and just compiling everything with a batch file?  One thing I note is
that MSVC's C compiler is C89 only; do we have dependencies on post-C89
syntax either in Chicken itself (which presumably could be worked around)
or in the generated code?

Oh! That's true, I had forgotten all about it. Microsoft's recommendation is to compile C code with the C++ compiler. This may or may not work, depending on what Chicken is using.

GNU Make is an annoying dependency on Windows, but batch files are way too ugly. If and only if we take that route, may I suggest Powershell? It is found on all 'modern' (>= XP) windows installs and is much more powerful (it can even load and call .net assemblies, for instance). That would make it less insane.

CMake is also annoying, but it works.

-- Stephen