Re: [Chicken-users] Wish list

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Wish list
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:51:19 +0100

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:41:26PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> > This could be changed, but it would break compatibility with every
> > installation of Chicken that exists.  If we were to do this we'd have
> > to take care to somehow keep the old system available.  Perhaps a new
> > flag to henrietta to send a tarball?  But that would be on-the-fly,
> > which we don't want.
>
> You can do the other way around. If one requests the old mode,
> unpack the archive on the fly and send individual files got from there.
> (You can even check signature on the fly, if you want it.)

True, we could do that, but who's going to sign it?  It's still based on
a caching mechanism.  The fundamental problem is getting people to sign
their code and provide static tarballs all the way upstream.

Otherwise, if we blow away the cache or add a new mirror to our network,
we'll get freshly generated tarballs with different checksums.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx