Re: [Chicken-users] Wish list

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Wish list
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:47:37 +0100

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:33:01AM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Henrietta cache does check each source specified in the egg-locations
> file every hour for new releases, then downloads the source tarballs
> for these and chicken-install will rely on these stored tarballs.

This is not accurate.  Henrietta downloads the source, which can be
aggregated and compressed in various ways (bz2, zip, targz, plain files)
so they are currently all normalized and stored in uncompressed,
unaggregated form (as plain files in a directory).
This is because (see below).

> These are not created on the fly, so what you are suggesting could
> be done this way. Or am I missing something?

The files are individually sent because not changing chicken-install
was one of the goals of THE SYSTEM, and the old Henrietta plucked the
individual files straight from svn (or a local checkout, I forget).

Of course this protocol is easier to maintain by storing the files
separately instead of in an archive.

This could be changed, but it would break compatibility with every
installation of Chicken that exists.  If we were to do this we'd have
to take care to somehow keep the old system available.  Perhaps a new
flag to henrietta to send a tarball?  But that would be on-the-fly,
which we don't want.

In any case, henrietta's cache is designed to be just that, a cache.
This means that any file can be deleted at any time and it will be
re-fetched.  That would mean a recreation of a tarball.

And when you want to support signing in the first place, that's a
problem that lies with the author (or packager).  Doing it automatically
offers almost no advantage, as a compromised server will happily keep
applying automated signatures.  Doing this is a huge burden on the
community which we currently cannot support.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx