Re: [Chicken-users] [4.7.0.3-st] Compiling on Solaris 10

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [4.7.0.3-st] Compiling on Solaris 10
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 06:30:58 -0500

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:34:24 +0900 Nicolas Pelletier <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 20:05, Mario Domenech Goulart <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:10:10 +0900 Nicolas Pelletier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Note on the /bin/true part: README is lying ;-) There is no bootstrap
>>> compiler included in the stable releases (1st lie), and there is no
>>> pre-compiled bootstrap compiler to be downloaded from the Chicken site
>>> (2nd lie).
>>
>> I don't get the 1st lie.  What section mentions that?
>
> I am refering to the secion "6. Bootstrapping" in README:
>
>     make PLATFORM=<platform> CHICKEN=<path-to-existing-chicken> boot-chicken
>
> When I read this, I thought "path-to-existing-chicken" meant there was
> an existing chicken included, which is not the case. On re-reading, I
> am not sure this is what was meant... but telling the user to point to
> an existing chicken when they are trying to bootstrap is certainly
> confusing.

Oh, I see.  That section has also been fixed in git.  Here's what it
is now:

 6. Bootstrapping

        To build a bootstrapping compiler yourself, get the most
        recent release tarball from http://code.call-cc.org, unpack
        it, build and install it.  Then change to the directory
        containing the git code and run:

          make PLATFORM=<platform> CHICKEN=<path-to-existing-chicken> \
            boot-chicken

        This will produce a statically linked binary with the name
        "chicken-boot[.exe]" that can be given as the value of the
        "CHICKEN" argument when invoking make(1). Note that the path
        to an existing `chicken' binary must be given to use it for
        compiling the Scheme code of the runtime-system and compiler.

I hope it is better now.  Please, let us know if you have improvement
suggestions.

Regarding READMEs in the release and stability tarballs, they indeed
have some mistakes that have been fixed in the git repo.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Best wishes.
Mario
--