Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:34:24 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 14:37 -0300 schrieb Alex Queiroz:
>      I don't know how many eggs you are currently using,

Frankly: I'm using just two (enviroments and libmagic) and because I'm
still sorta confused about dependencies, I copied both.  The former
literally (my code was already adjusted to use the same API - I have a
habit to compare the API's of similar things before I start to implement
anything), the latter needed some adjustment, since what I need is the
mime type of a string, which the egg omits.

>  but I guess I
> should point out that Gambit-C has working SRFIs 18 and 34. It also
> has Termite, another look at multithreading.

Actually I considered gambit-c, but eventually decided to try chicken
first.  Gambit-c has a good chance to be one of the next targets.

Concerning termite: I checked it a faily long while ago.  It did several
things I did (at that time) respectively I'm doing.  For example, it did
(at that time) not enforce certain safety constraints (e.g. it just did
discourage side effects [especially on already sent data], while I
disable them to be sure), had no capability system etc.  So I did not
find a ground on which I should abolish well tested, working code I
*know* (and I'm taking contracts for) for something new, experimental to
me, which would need additional work do the same job eventually.

Thanks anyway.  Pointers, hints and critique are always welcome.

/Jörg