Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:32:54 +0200

Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:
Normal production configuration changes should probably be handled in a server system by instructing the master thread to set new values into its parameters, which *new session threads* would then inherit from it, so that existing session threads keep the old values

This is sound advice.

Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
Since both designs appear useful to me (I forgot about the details of the 3rd), I'd rather support all of them for the user to choose appropriately.

I agree that in your case half-shared parameters (which are thread- local only when parameterize'd) are by far the easiest solution, but can't you just implement them on top of Chicken's non-shared parameters and override make-parameter and parameterize? You could compile this alternate implementation as a library and load it before the rest of your code, even publish it as an egg. What's the problem?

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse ;-)

Tobia