Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with cygwin

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with cygwin
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:36:24 -0400

Shawn Rutledge scripsit:

> If you're trying to point out some other incompatibility, I didn't
> understand, sorry.  I do understand that regular cygwin programs
> depend on cygwin1.dll, but if it can also build in such a way that dll
> is not necessary, so much the better, right?

Not necessarily.  Programs built on Cygwin integrate correctly with the
rest of Cygwin, which is a Good Thing when living mostly in a Cygwin
environment, as I do when forced to live with Windows for one reason
or another.

For example, ^D on Cygwin as on Unix signals EOF on terminal input,
but this does not happen when you are running a non-Cygwin program
(like the java interpreter) from Cygwin.  ^Z followed by newline, the
regular Windows console EOF, does not work either, because the ^Z is
either ignored or causes the non-Cygwin process to stop.

--
John Cowan    address@hidden    http://ccil.org/~cowan
If a traveler were informed that such a man [as Lord John Russell] was