Re: [Chicken-users] Spiffy Webserver

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Spiffy Webserver
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:46:41 +0100

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 01:52:04AM -0500, Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
> Anyone have some example sites run w/Spiffy? How robust is Spiffy? I have a
> site that is currently handling ~ 2.5 million hits/mo, or on average 51 a
> second. It's currently backed by MySQL and is using almost no cache due to
> poor design (not totally my fault).
>
> The only thing Spiffy would be responsible for is the dynamic, non-cachable
> items, which should be minimal. I know it's silly, but I do not have hard
> numbers on what that would be, but guessing it would probably be down to
> about 10% of the requests, 222k/mo, or 5 per minute on average (which is a
> bad way to figure because we get 90% of activity during 11am-12pm EST.
>
> Is Spiffy up to something like this?

I'm not aware of any large sites currently running Spiffy.  I run Spiffy on
my home server which serves up a phoghorn-powered photo gallery and my
(currently empty) homepage.  It also runs my cousin's website (with ~0
hits per month :P ) through a vhost setup.  Spiffy is the only webserver
on this computer. (ie, no proxying through Apache or anything)

Obviously this is a very simple setup which doesn't need to serve a lot of
requests, but at least I can say it is quite robust.  When I first started
using Spiffy (about 2 years ago?) I experienced several random unexplained
crashes, but I haven't had a crash this year yet.  I think this crash might
have been caused by a bug in Chicken itself which has been fixed by now.
(nothing had changed in Spiffy, but I had upgraded Chicken when the crashes
disappeared)

So I can't definitely recommend Spiffy based on hard numbers.  However, my
gut feeling says it's capable of serving up what you describe.  It would be
interesting to see how well it holds up on a bigger server.  If you do
decide to try it out, please report your findings back to the list (or me).
If there are any performance issues, I'd be happy to help you out in
getting bottlenecks out of the way.

Regards,
Peter
--