certi-devel

[certi-dev] Problems using timed simulation

From: Christoph Laesche
Subject: [certi-dev] Problems using timed simulation
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:55:08 +0200

Hello,

I am currently writing my masters thesis about HLA and porting software
from the pitch rti to CERTI. After having successfully ported an example
without time management (hooray :) ) I encountered two problems when
trying to insert time management into the example.

The first problem I encountered is that when one requests a time advance
(using timeAdvanceRequest) one has to supply a RTI1516fedTime object (or
a derived one) and not a object that is derived from LogicalTime. This
is because internally there is a certi_cast from the supplied time
object to a RTI1516fedTime object. What is the reason for this
implementation? It seems to limit compatibility with other RTIs.

The other problem is with the RTI1516fedTime class itself. It implements
various operators which require an LogicalTimeInterval object. As far as
i can see, there is a RTI1516fedTimeInterval object which implements the
LogicalTimeInterval. However, the operator functions of the
RTI1516fedTime class cast the LogicalTimeInterval object to a
HLA1516fedTime object (unfortunately without throwing an exception so
one won't notice if it fails). So, how am i supposed to, e.g., add a
time to an RTI1516fedTime object when I am required to provide an
RTI1516fedTime to the operator+= function which is not a derived class
of LogicalTimeInterval? Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Christoph Laesche