certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] plug-and-play CERTI

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] plug-and-play CERTI
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:27:35 +0100

2008/3/7, Gotthard,Petr <address@hidden>:

Hi Petr,

> Hello,
> I would like to implement functions that would simplify CERTI deployment and
> configuration. I want to use HLA (and CERTI) as a simulation platform, but
> need a sort of "plug-and-play".

ACK.

> Do you think that CERTI could benefit from this functionality, so it could
> be (sometime) integrated into the official CERTI distribution?

Off course it may.
We need to discuss the ideas then prototype
and may be integrate to CERTI mainstream.

I'm pretty sure we can easily put such add-on in CERTI "contributions area"
(http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/certi/contrib/)
whether it may be integrated into mainstream will be discussed
on the list and then CERTI admins will decide.

> Concrete idea:
> 1) To preserve manual configurability.
> 2) To enable RTIA to auto-discover RTIG which can host federation with a
> given name.
> 3) ...any suggestions?

Currently RTIA locates RTIG host using the CERTI_HOST environment variable.
When Federate ask to create/join federation
RTIA ask RTIG for FED File (xml or fed)

RTIG has a federation file search path mechanism:
(see certi/libCERTI/Federation.cc:166)

1) tries bare provided filename 'FEDid_name'
2) getenv(CERTI_HOME)+"/share/federations"+ FEDid_name
3) default (unix) installation place plus FEDid_name
    "/usr/local/share/federation/" + FEDid_name

so autodiscovering available RTIG processes is currently
a matter of looking for machines who are listening on
CERTI_TCP_PORT whose default is 60400.

Would you like deployement-only simplification?
Were you thinking of a GUI for launching Simulation?
Were you thinking of a simplified API?

Would you explain a little more about your targeted scenarii?

--
Erk