[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[bug #63808] configure gives incorrect information regarding pdf generat

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: [bug #63808] configure gives incorrect information regarding pdf generation
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:15:35 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #27, bug #63808 (project groff):

[comment #26 comment #26:]
> These changes don't appear in master when I do a git pull so I can't do any

I hadn't pushed yet because I didn't have confidence in the changes, and
thought you might be able to tell at a glace what had gone wrong.  A flash of
hysterical optimism.  :-O

> Also, because you do make check rather than make -j; make check if there is
a failure in the build phase we don't get to see the result of the tests.

Good point.

> For 01 (gs only) check-default-foundry failed and gropdf was in restricted
mode.The reason is very strange! In the make I see lines such as:-
> BuildFoundries: warning: line 33: groff font 'AB' will not be available for
PDF output; unable to locate font file(s): URWGothic-Demi.t1, URWGothi-Demi,
URWGothicL-Demi, a010015l.pfb
> BuildFoundries: warning: line 34: groff font 'ABI' will not be available for
PDF output; unable to locate font file(s): URWGothic-DemiOblique.t1,
RWGothic-DemiOblique, URWGothicL-DemiObli, a010035l.pfb
> BuildFoundries: warning: line 35: groff font 'AI' will not be available for
PDF output; unable to locate font file(s): URWGothic-BookOblique.t1,
UWGothic-BookOblique, URWGothicL-BookObli, a010033l.pfb
> BuildFoundries: warning: line 36: groff font 'AR' will not be available for
PDF output; unable to locate font file(s): URWGothic-Book.t1, URWGothi-Book,
URWGothicL-Book, a010013l.pfb
> The equivalent entry in the Foundry.in file from which the filenames come
> AB|N||||URWGothic-Demi.t1!URWGothic-Demi!URWGothicL-Demi!a010015l.pfb
> AR|N||||URWGothic-Book.t1!URWGothic-Book!URWGothicL-Book!a010013l.pfb
> If you compare the list of names you will see a character is missing in the
second name in the list, i.e. for AB it should be looking for the name
"URWGothic-Demi" (second name in the Foundry.in file entry for AB) but it
reports it is looking for "URWGothi-Demi". This happens for every line, it is
the 147th character of each line which has been chopped!
> The first thing I would look at is whether there is anything odd about your
Foundry.in, whether it has the missing characters.
> Scrub all that, I've just realised the whole log file you uploaded has the
147th character missing on every line,  and its not even April 1st! So we next
wonder whether ghostscript have changed fontnames again, so please locate
where the ghostscript fonts are located (somewhere on the paths given by gs
-h) and post an "ls -l".

This rings a bell.  I have heard tell of a long-standing bug in the Linux
pseudoterminal driver that does this.  My bad for copying and pasting from
xterm scrollback instead of using script(1).

> To do further investigations I think I need the changes you seem to have
only done to your local git.

Yes.  I have a fix for the pdfroff problem that I will push soon along with
the other stuff.


Reply to this item at:


Message sent via Savannah

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]