bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#24953: 25.1; Possible inefficiency in UTF-8


From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: bug#24953: 25.1; Possible inefficiency in UTF-8
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 17:37:41 +0200

> From: Eli Barzilay <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 05:53:33 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
> 
> I still didn't get to try and see if I can get the git problem, but the
> problem seems to be moot for me: I use *both* Linux and Windows, a lot.
> I synchronize files between the two, and I work with Linux mounts on
> Windows.  In short, I have a ton of files that are UTF-8, so it makes
> sense to have it be my default on Windows too.  In the around-month-or-
> so which I used without it, I ran into several cases where the default
> character encoding was broken, and OTOH, in years of using an explicit
> UTF-8 I haven't had any problems...

Whatever you do, don't change the locale, because it will affect how
command-line arguments to subprocesses are encoded, which will bite
you some day.  If you need the text decoding/encoding to use UTF-8 by
default, use setq-default to change buffer-file-coding-system.





reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]