bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] starting libra in commandline mode

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] starting libra in commandline mode
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:11:51 +0430

Hi Platoali,

On Friday 19 September 2003 22:32, Ali Yazdy wrote:

> Hi
> finally i've been able to find a good Linux distro(
> thanks to linuxiran). This distro was something  that
> I have been searching for sometime. Two thing that
> I've been encounter were that this distro is very
> slower than other distros that I had some experience
> like Mandrake9.0 and Suse 8.0, although I had not run
> many services like CUP and samba and ... that I had
> them on previouse distroes. Does anybody know any
> reason for this.

I can not say much about the speed. I had all in all a good impression, but
since I am not using libranet on a day to day basis (I use Debian) I may
be wrong. One general approach would be not to use ext3. ReiserFS seems to
be faster.

> another thing is that I've been used
> to start my linux in commandline mode. when I removed
> gdm from rc2.d and "startx ed" in commandline, Fmvw
> loaded up besides kde. does anyone know how I should
> change my default x server to kde in commandline mode.
>
> thanks
> platoali

I am not sure what the reason for this is, but you can turn off the
graphical login thrugh the admin tool of libranet. But the startx command
will still not work. You have to add .xinitrc to your home directory and
then it will work. The .xinitrc should contain one line: exec startkde
This should do it.

Greetings,
Arash
--