bibledit-general

[be] Getting started in Bibledit-GTK

From: Robert Hunt
Subject: [be] Getting started in Bibledit-GTK
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:10:36 +1200

Dear Teus,

I tried using Bibledit-GTK 4.6 (on the latest Ubuntu 13.04 Raring) today. I haven't tried it for a long time, so I was a bit confused as to how to get started. I tried help, but it mentioned two help sections (Tasks and Tools) that I couldn't find. Also it mentioned File->Project->Import which didn't seem to match the actual menus of the program. So it seems that the help is out of sync with itself and with the software?

Anyway, I wanted to load a USFM Bible (which is currently in Paratext). File/Project/Open didn't seem to get me anywhere, so I tried File/Import, but it led me to a similar empty "Open Project" box with no apparent way of navigating to the correct folder.

I realize that this isn't the latest version, but nevertheless I assume that if it's in Ubuntu it does work. So how would I load an existing USFM translation in progress into Bibledit?

Is it also possible to load other resources (e.g., major English translations) into BE? I found NET Bible (which seemed to be incorrectly called NextBible in the "Open Resource" dialogue box) and also Sabda had some English although with Indonesian? book name links.

    I guess I can try building the new 4.8 if it's significantly better?

Thanks,
Robert.