bibledit-general

Re: Installing Bibledit packages on Debian (was: Re: [be] Installing/Upd

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: Installing Bibledit packages on Debian (was: Re: [be] Installing/Updating Bibledit from http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu? )
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:58:04 +0200

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 03:44 -0700, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> OK.  A similar page for 3.7 (minus the libwebkit info) might be good as
> well, unless 3.8 is coming very soon.  Seeing pages for 3.6 and 3.8, but
> not for 3.7, seemed odd somehow.

The 3.7 version was added also, and hopefully this fills up the gap
between 3.6 and the not yet existing 3.8.

> BTW, if the primary audience is novices, why do the instructions
> currently ask people to use System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package
> Manager instead of the more basic System -> Administration -> Add/Remove
> Packages (which runs gnome-app-install) ?

I checked in Ubuntu 9.04 and didn't find that Add/Remove packages menu.
I remember having seen it somewhere, and I don't right now have a Debian
system running to check on that.

> OK.  Tell me whether the page at
> http://computeroptions.net/sword/bibledit_debian.html meets your needs.
>  It ended up longer than the Ubuntu one, mostly because it does not
> refer people to an external page for instructions on adding a repository.

Thanks a lot for that information. It has been added to the local
website right-away, and will be online by tomorrow (CAT).

> Now we have a GUI/command line example.  How can a user extract from the
> GUI-oriented description of how to add a repo on that help page I just
> wrote, that the quick way to do it is something like:
>
>   su -c "echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main' \
>     >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/testing.list && \
>     apt-get update && apt-get install bibledit"
>
> I don't think many people, even those who have fairly decent command
> line skills, would be able to extract this command from the GUI info.
> Yet it is *much* shorter and simpler to cut and paste this one command
> line from a web page window into a shell window, than to do all the GUI
> steps ... you just select the command text, ctrl-c, middle-click on the
> shell window, and press Enter.

I agree that this sounds much quicker, and I'll open a task to add this
information. To be done when time permits and the backlog has been
cleared.

I'm leaving out your other comments, these are in the task too.

Thank you for your support,

Teus.