[Axiom-mail] axiom book examples

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: [Axiom-mail] axiom book examples
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 12:41:59 -0700

Thanks for the link Tim.  I'm going through the book and the examples,
trying to get acquainted, and I run into a problem in section 0.1.8
(that is a cool feature that Maple implements poorly, BTW -- I spend way
too much time getting Maple to put my trig functions in a desired form).

First, the command line interface doesn't seem to let me enter things on
multiple lines.  There appear to be no separators between the individual
statements.  I tried inserting ',' and ';' neither of which help.
Second, using TeXmacs I can enter this example on multiple lines, but I
get back::

    AXIOM cannot determine the type of sin because it cannot analyze the
    non-recursive part, if that exists.  This may be remedied by
    declaring the function.

Hopefully this is just a dumb newbie question that can be answered
quickly.  ;)

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you
    end up being governed by your inferiors."  -- Plato