RE: [Axiom-mail] Aldor and Windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] Aldor and Windows
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:31:11 -0500

On Monday, December 09, 2002 9:18 AM Stephen Watt
address@hidden wrote:
> There are still one or two rough edges to sort out, such
> as getting Aldor object files to work in the Visual C++
> debugging environment etc etc, but these are relatively
> minor. We should be putting a Windows version up on the
> ALdor.org site shortly.

That's good news.

> On the Cygwin/MinGW front, I believe we have also a
> version which we can tidy up and put on the web site.

A version of Aldor that is compatible with and which
compiles using MinGW would be very good. MinGW has been
rapidly moving away from Cygwin with the introduction of
their Msys development environment. There seems to be a
strong desire for an open source native Windows platform.
However nice it is to have around, the Cygwin Unix emulation
layer often seems to get in the way of true Windows
compatibility and interoperability. Also it seems that one
pays a rather large performance penalty when using the
Cygwin dll.

> It is very good to learn of your interest in these versions
> and your willingness to participate in making them available
> in these settings. Would you like to become involved in the
> correspondence on these?

Yes, I would be happy if you could include my email address
in your exchange. If there is anything I might do to assist
with testing the Windows version(s), I would be glad to help.

Regards,
Bill Page.