Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:00:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, Stephen Wilson wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
| > Your suggestion is correct, but the build still fails at the same
| > point.  Looking at the call to expt(x,n) in the Spad code  I don't
| > immediatelt see why it should be well-formed.  Do you see why it is
| > OK?
|
| Given:
|
|    "**": (%,PositiveInteger) -> %
|
| and
|
|    x:% ** n:PositiveInteger == expt(x,n)
|
| we need
|
|    expt: (%, PositiveInteger) -> %
|
| But that is exactly what we get as export when saying:
|
|     `import RepeatedSquaring(%)'

Yes, the import is supposed to bring expt() in scope.  And expt() is
indeed brought in scope.

However, judging from the compiler's message it would appear that
RepeatedSquaring expects:

| Here, % certainly satisfies the conditions on the parameter type:
|
|    SetCategory with "*": (%,%)->%

I don't think it does, in the sense of Spad.
I believe two unnamed categories define distinct categories irrespective of
their bodies.