Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:10:17 -0400

On 30 Jul 2007 01:04:32 -0400, Stephen Wilson wrote:

> Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
> > I would like them to use Axiom as a vehicule of choice, so that we
> > don't have to wait two generations before finding hobbyists that
> > translate algorithms passe or or no interest to Axiom.
>
> I believe I understand the overall point of your response but I am
> having difficulty understanding the above sentence.  Could you please
> explain?

This is my interpretation: He wants working mathematicians to be able
to choose Axiom now for their research rather than emphasizing the 30
year view which he thinks is likely to appeal only to hobbyists who
may have little or no interest in translating more advanced computer
algebra algorithms created meanwhile by mathematicians working with
other systems.