Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] goals and direction, axiom vs fricas
Date: 29 Jul 2007 23:27:26 -0500

Jocelyn Guidry <address@hidden> writes:

| Gaby,
|
| Would the Fricas project better suit your needs and vision for an
| open source CAS?  If not, why?

Borrowing a metaphor from a friend, it is like trying to get five cars
to California with only four drivers; standard disclaimer included.

I believe I've already expressed my opinions about the fork when
Waldek originally posted his intent to fork.

Ideally, I would like a system that gets in a state that attracts the
working mathematicians, in the very short term; not in 30 years.  I
would like them to use Axiom as a vehicule of choice, so that we don't
have to wait two generations before finding hobbyists  that translate
algorithms passe or or no interest to Axiom.  However that possible,
we have to be concrete, we have to get real even though we are aiming
at ideals.

I fundamentally disagree with the opinion that welcomes the fork so as
to have the perfect asnwer "go away; go to Fricas."