Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:26:11 +0700 (NOVST)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Stephen Wilson wrote:
address@hidden writes:
Would a correct summary of your concern be:
Axiom pamphlet format should not be restricted to latex syntax?

No, I dont think so.  The syntax does not bother me in any way.

I cannot see how we can get past the the need for a weave stage in
general, especially when we consider wide range of possibilities open
to us in the future.  This is my main concern.
I think it is best not to introduce an additional syntax, when the familiar LaTeX syntax is good for describing any structured documents (in this sense, I think that xml is a re-invention of the LaTeX wheel). An additional advantage is that in the simplest case (which means 100% of cases now, but may decrease to 99% in the future) we can directly run LaTeX on pamphlet files, thus saving build time. I don't see why references to chunks from other files can be a problem - just \usepackage{hyperref} and get nice hyperlinks in dvi or pdf. It should be also quite easy (in principle) to generate, say, hyperdoc pages from LaTeX pamphlets - we can invent LaTeX structures for hyperref-specific purposes, such as uses/used-by lists or running axiom commands from hyperdoc. Of course, this requires some programming, but quite trivial - LaTeX syntax is very simple and regular (unless we play dirty low-level TeX games with re-defining character classes, etc.; such tricks should be certainly banned in pamphlet files). If some more complicated processing of pamphlets is needed, such as extracting some special kind of chunks from many pamphlets (for some other kind of documentation in The Crystall :-), it can be done by a program. In this sense, weaving will be available when we need it (of course, it should be programmed, but this is certainly not difficult). But in the majority of cases, weaving will by just the identity transformation. I think this is a Good Thing - saving build time and the necessity to learn one more syntax.

I'll have a look how \begin{verbatim} ... \end{verbatim} is handled in auctex. I am sure this can be generalized in such a way that chunks written in some programming language will be syntax-highlighted by an appropriate mode. Ideally, we should have the possibliity to have chunks written in several languages in the same pamphlet, and to work with them comfortably from emacs. Currently, this is not possible; so, I don't think that the current setup is purfect and should not be improved.

Andrey