[Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion
Date: 21 Jul 2007 00:05:47 -0400

Tim,

address@hidden writes:
> Stephen,
>
> Would a correct summary of your concern be:
> Axiom pamphlet format should not be restricted to latex syntax?

No, I dont think so.  The syntax does not bother me in any way.

I cannot see how we can get past the the need for a weave stage in
general, especially when we consider wide range of possibilities open
to us in the future.  This is my main concern.

Also, I cannot see a distinct advantage to using latex directly, even
given the modest features we have available in our tools today.  After
all, most of a pamphlet is pure latex.

I am also concerned about attracting new developers to this method as
well.  Its difficult to get them to buy into literate programming to
begin with.  I believe that even people who do practice the methodology
would be forlorn to break with the familiar concept of `weaving' a
document.  Normally I would not consider this an issue, but I dont see
why we should spend time preaching to the converted when, at least to
me, there is no clear gain in the end.

To have a good tangle/weave tool, implemented in Lisp, which is
tailored to axioms current needs and extensible for future
requirements, appears to me as being the best way forward.  We do not
loose anything, AFAICT, but there is, potentially, a lot to gain.

Take care,
Steve