Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: A modest proposal (PLEQN documentation)

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: A modest proposal (PLEQN documentation)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:46:17 +0200

The important thing is that the information is there. I am not so sure
that we already have a good format of how a pamphlet should look like.

This is exactly my objections to the pamphlet format. It
would be easier from the author's viewpoint to create
different files for different uses, with cross-references
among them. It would be much harder to design one single
file that captures all possible views in a coherent way and
still be able to be unraveled as readable for various
separate views.

I don't disagree with you. As you might know, I would call a collection of files that describe some idea/code/design issues by the name pamphlet. So a pamphlet would be a kind of zip file similar to what an open office file is. But I should rather chose another name in order not to confuse people with what is currently understood by pamphlet.

It is totally nontrivial to use the same information in different views. That is a burden for the author and I haven't yet seen a good tool that helps to break information into such information atoms.

I just skipped through AldorCombinat and except for the
theory behind species, your documentation for the code and
usage is quite extensive. I am however overwhelmed by the
hundreds of chunks and occasionally the extra link
information can be distracting (of course they are useful
for debugging and code changes).

Yep. I don't claim it is the best that can be done. LP for me is an experiment. The current form is quite helpful for development, but it is not linearly human readable. I agree. I try to figure out myself how LP should look like in the daily programming life. So any comment from outside is welcome.

Just one question: In
Section 8.1, just before the bottom ToDo, the two formulae
at the end of lines, do you mean $\cup_{U \subseteq L, U
finite} \{U\}$ (and similarly for F[U])?

Oh, yes. But as you can probably read there. I need a much better description. I'd like to formulate that in a categorial way, but I would need that a species is not a functor F: B->B but an L indexed something. If you can think of a way how to incorporate the type L business into a categorial setting, I would be over grateful.

We all have limited time and that is why the priority of the
Axiom project should be to increase user base. If there are
more users, Axiom will be used at more universities
(especially if a fully functioning Windows version is
available) and even commercial houses (but they don't
"count" in my books); we will have more students who can do
a lot of work such as documentation (writing pamphlets if
that is the standard) as undergraduate or master theses.
Doctoral students can develop better models, new and newer
algorithms for Axiom's foundation and implement them.

I support that view very much.

Ralf