Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks
Date: 22 Jun 2007 16:32:59 -0400

C Y <address@hidden> writes:
> --- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If your working exclusively with SBCL, you /may/ be surprised when
> > you try with an ANSI 2.6.8pre.  It certainly has missing features,
> > but is quite usable as a near-ansi lisp.  I used to work with SBCL
> > exclusively. But the strides GCL has made recently towards ansi and
>
> I thought most of those strides were in the 2.7.0 branch?  I guess I
> need to check the ANSI build of 2.6.8pre again.

AFAIK, yes.  Main effort is w.r.t 2.7.0, however 2.6.8pre (latest cvs
snapshot) even has enough to give you a working MOP (some
difficulties, but relatively minor).  Its certainly not CLtL1.

[...]
> A long time back there were some efforts to get Slime working on GCL -
> I don't know if anyone has revisited the issue lately.
>
> One trick I was able to pull with Maxima once was to have two Emacs
> connections to the same Maxima session - one talking to the Lisp REPL
> and the other talking to the command prompt.  This allowed one to
> perform normal commands in the command line and work inside the Slime
> environment at the Lisp level at the same time :-).  It needed threads
> though - the swank server in one and the normal Maxima session in the
> other - and some special startup was required to trigger swank, IIRC.
> Once the asdf work is set up it might be worth trying to do that again
> for Axiom.  Does GCL have threads?

Im not one to ask as I have never done any work along these lines with
GCL.  I do know GCL has multiprocessing support via an MPI interface.
I have not come across an interface to something like NPTL or the
like.

Cheers,
Steve