RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 23:34:43 -0400

On May 21, 2007 11:07 PM Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> I will give this new tm_axiom a go.  Although, with Martin,
> I prefer emacs - I always have an emacs window running (I use
> LaTeX with the emacs auctex mode for all my document preparation),
> and my ideal interface for axiom would be an emacs mode which
> produces output as a TeX'ed graphic - such as imaxima does for
> maxima.  I find TeXmacs slow and a bit clumsy.

I agree however I think the use of TeX'ed graphics is rather
clumsy. Have you used imaxima extensively for this purpose?

One thing that I think would make using Axiom in LaTeX more
straight forward would be a the kind of LaTeX package that
was implemented for Sage. This permits one to write:

  \begin{sageblock}
  sage commands
  \end{sageblock}

to execute arbitrary commands and \sage{ sage expression }
to automatically include the results of calculations in
your LaTeX document.

There is an example of this on the Axiom Wiki. I think to
modify the 'sage.tex' file to work with directly with Axiom
would not be a difficult task for someone moderately familiar
with TeX macros.

> Also, which of emacs or TeXmacs provides better support for
> spad/aldor programming (syntax highlighting, automatic
> indentation, parentheses matching and so on)?

So far as I know that answer is neither. :-( Although there
do obviously exist some some similar emacs modes for other
languages and packages that might be fairly easily adapted to
this purpose.