Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 13:06:44 +1000

I will give this new tm_axiom a go.  Although, with Martin, I prefer emacs - I always have an emacs window running (I use LaTeX with the emacs auctex mode for all my document preparation), and my ideal interface for axiom would be an emacs mode which produces output as a TeX'ed graphic - such as imaxima does for maxima.  I find TeXmacs slow and a bit clumsy.

Also, which of emacs or TeXmacs provides better support for spad/aldor programming (syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, parentheses matching and so on)?

-Alasdair

On May 21, 2007 5:48 PM Martin Rubey wrote:

> I've finally got it working.

Besides the stuff that you describe below to make tm_axiom
call axiom instead of AXIOMsys, could you say what you did
first just to get it to work as it should "out of the box"?
Of course just to use Axiom in TeXmacs it should not be
necessary to do any of this. If *both* axiom and AXIOMsys
are in the PATH, it should just work. I would like to know
why this did not work initially for either Ralf or for you.

> I did the following:
>
> save the code below (it is a modified tm_axiom.c following
> the instructions of Andrey Grozin on MathAction) into a
> file tm_axiom.c and say
>
>   gcc tm_axiom

Ralf, I gave this link to Andrey Grozin post on the Axiom
Wiki in an email earlier today:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/address@hidden
eloper.org

> as root, modify line 20 of
> /usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/axiom/progs to
> read
>
>   (:require (url-exists-in-path? "$AXIOM/bin/axiom"))
>
> and copy tm_axiom to the place where it belongs:
>
>   sudo mv a.out /usr/lib/texmacs/TeXmacs/bin/tm_axiom
>
> Most likely you will have to modify paths according to
> your situation.

Yes, the path to tm_axiom is a little different under
Debian and Kubuntu then for other installations of TeXmacs -
something to do with Debian conventions.

> If you are not root, I guess you can place the files
> into your .TeXmacs directory (try cd .TeXmacs at a shell
> prompt).

Does that work for tm_axiom? If so, then maybe that is
a good way to vary the behaviour of the Axiom in TeXmacs
rather than changing /usr/lib/texmacs/TeXmacs/bin/tm_axiom
in the standard distribution.

> When inserting an Axiom session in TeXmacs, be patient
> and wait until HyperDoc appears (maybe a second or so).
> If you type something into the prompt before that,
> texmacs will hang.

There are other problems concerning using hyperdoc in
TeXmacs, for example running examples and even browsing
the database can (sometimes) interferes with TeXmacs and
communications between TeXmacs and Axiom can be disrupted.
For that reason if I want to access hyperdoc (which for
me is actually very seldom) I just start a separate Axiom
process. That way there is no possibility for problems
since hyperdoc runs in a different process tree and talks
to it's own copy of AXIOMsys.

However it makes sense to me to make the modification
suggested by Andrey if the main goal is to have access
to Axiom graphics. In that case it would be best to run
Axiom via the command 'axiom -noht -noclef' in tm_axiom
to reduce the number of extra processes started. Axiom
graphics still starts a new windows outside of TeXmacs
but at least there are commands one can enter in the
TeXmacs Axiom session that will operate the graphics
windows remotely and do things like create a postscript
format output file which can then be included in TeXmacs.
Since the usual goal of using TeXmacs is to produce a
document as a repeatable final product, I think it is
generally a good idea to use Axiom graphics this way
from within TeXmacs rather than in the usual interactive
mode.

> Personally, I prefer emacs, since I use it for reading
> mail and svn.  But I guess many will prefer texmacs.

I do not think emacs and TeXmacs are really comparable
as an interface to Axiom. TeXmacs is a mathematical
document processor which allows one to directly prepare a
publication quality document containing mathematics and
the output of various computer algebra systems. To do
something similar in emacs is a manual process involving
cut-and-paste from buffers and running LaTeX.

> Please let me know whether this works for you.

It works for me. :-)