Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:39:41 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| >   How about this patch I'm testing?  I splitted the GCLOPTS into
| > independent parts, and disabled X and TK for all targets.
|
| It wasn't working. I think I've finally tracked it down.
|
| On Mac OS X, the gcl configure option:
|
| --enable-maxpage=256*1024
|
| causes gcl to segfault immediately upon starting.

Arg.  I don't know what the proper value must be.  The above is what
is on trunk but since nobody reported it worked I believe we must
follow what you advise here.

Bill had a different value for that parameter (which is not a power of
2).  Personaly, I don't think users must get into  the business of
fiddling with that parameter.  Ideally, GCL should just figure out
what is the right thing to do.

| I'm building axiom now on my Mac, I'm pretty sure it's using the
| contained gcl (the one in build/), and it seems to be working.

OK.

| What's the default size for this parameter? I'm going to try 128*1024 to
| see if it works, but it's likely pointing to some kind of memory
| management bug, isn't it.
|
| The current build is working with the following configure flags:
|
| # ./configure
| --prefix=/Users/humberto/src/axiom/test/build/powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
| --disable-xgcl --enable-locbfd --disable-statsysbfd
| --enable-machine=powerpc-macosx '--enable-vssize=65536*2'
| --disable-tkconfig --disable-x

OK, maybe we should just leave out --enable-maxpage.  Camm?