Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom ia64

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom ia64
Date: 14 Nov 2006 21:43:36 -0500

Richard Harke <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon November 13 2006 07:29, Camm Maguire wrote:
>
> > If anyone would like to help getting bfd support for ia64 and friends,
> > please look at sfaslbfd_alpha.c and sfaslbfd_mips.c from the HEAD cvs
> > tree.  This should serve as an example for the needed sfaslbfd_ia64.c
> >

> > Take care,
> Do the versions for mips and alpha work? Tested?

Yes.  Essentially once this code can load a few .o files, it can load
any of them.  The self build of gclcvs on the Debian autobuilders
works the code heavily.

> What is the relation of HEAD to 2.6.8pre?

HEAD is 2.7.0, the active development version, where new features are
added and ansi compliance is approached.  When ready, we will release
it as 2.8.0, following the Linux kernel numbering scheme.  2.6.x is
the stable branch, critical bug fix only (more or less), for maxima,
acl2, axiom, hol88 and nqthm support.

> I have taken a brief look at this and am considering taking it on.

This would be most appreciated, and I'd be happy to lend assistance.
Knowledge of the ia64 reloc definitions is obviously key, though I put
together the alpha version mostly as a guesswork based on the mips
example.  If ia64 were done, we could also share with the lush
project, on which the original sfaslbfd_mips was inspired.  And
someday it would be great to get this back into bfd upstream.

The basic idea is that each section of the .o file has a got table
appended to handle the relocs that refer to the special gp register
value.

Take care,