Re: [Axiom-developer] paths to viewport in build-improvements

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] paths to viewport in build-improvements
Date: 28 Oct 2006 04:46:43 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
| > |
| > | The $AXIOM variable points to "the final distribution" directory.
| > | It is possible to copy $AXIOM anywhere and get a complete system.
| >
| > To appreciate Waldek's point, one needs to be familiar with the GNU
| > standard build framework:
| >
| >   http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Directory-Variables
|
| well i read that as having two alternatives. either
|
| 1) all of axiom can be put in one directory with symbolic links or
| 2) axiom is spread across the system into many directories.
|
| case 1 is clearly the current design and obviously not going to happen.
|
| will case 2 work on MACOSX and FreeBSD?

case 2 is actually very common (if not the most common) form.

As the system is currently setup, I'm leaning towards case 1, except
that I really have not made my mind yet.  It is a decision I would
like to make, once the build machinery works as "expected".

But whatever is chosen, we mush make sure that when each individual
variable is set on command line, we still build properly, install
properly, and function properly.

| whatever choices get made PLEASE don't put a .. in the path.

I personally don't put ".." in the path.  However, the Autotools might
put them, but what they do is correct because what happens it that the
../ and such _alwys_ navigate under $prefix, so that they never go outside.

(Currently, the final $AXIOM is two subdirectories under $prefix, but
one should not count on that)