Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 07:12:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Perhaps (*)
> >   glue lines with a _ at the end to the next one.
> (inline syntax)
> >   glue lines with a space at beginning to the prévious one.
> (input syntax)
> >   but cut all the others lines.
>
> I hope you also consider an error message of Axiom if the expression
> is  syntactically incorrect. In that case I would like the axiomacs
> mode to jump to the error position (if possible).

Hmm.  That would require either a) Axiom jumping to that location or b)
Emacs somehow being able to identify the error location.  Neither is
simple, but I agree it is very desirable.

A slightly easier alternative might be found with the syntax
highlighting abilities of Emacs - if it is obvious that something is
wrong due to odd syntax highlighting that might prevent the problem
before it starts.  Ralf, I definitely intend to look at your Aldor mode
(and Dr. Watt's if it is available) but I haven't yet gotten to the
Aldor part of the Emacs mode.  I had intended to have the command line
mode support ONLY command-line syntax - there seems to be a demand for
more than that, which is fine, but it's going to be a while since I
myself am still in the process of learning :-/.  I'm grateful for the
bug reports already provided, and I have fixed a few of them already
(upcoming email about that), but there are many more to deal with and
some are not so simple.

The best thing for something like this is to provide some examples I
can use as test cases, but unfortunately I can't promise a quick
response :-/.

Cheers,
CY