[Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 07:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

A couple of quick questions, so I know what I'm up against:

1.  I don't suppose the use of the _ character to indicate a new line
is unique to input syntax?  If not, would it be OK to make it so in
Emacs if I can make multi-line input without it in "normal" input mode?

2.  If the answer to both questions in #1 is no and I can't assume the
_ character is unique, is there any reliable way to detect when someone
is inputing input syntax rather than the normal user level input?

3.  If the answer to #2 is no, how should I know when to do the input
syntax eval instead of the normal eval?  I could define a different key
combination but if the user forgot to use it it might generate a bit of
a mess.

I've been looking at mmm-mode for other reasons, not the least of which
is the eventual need to handle literate documents, but I think I'm
going to need it sooner than that so I might have to take time out to
figure out how to use it, customize it, and integrate it.  It looks
like the most robust way to handle this might be to use an mmm-mode on
a per-input style level and figure out invisible text, which is all
right in a way because even in termainal mode I have other ideas for
mmm-mode and will need to come to terms with it.

If I need to do that, I'm going to have to take time out for a
re-organization and refactoring of the code.  I've got some tricks in
there now for dealing with things like flagging mismatched IO pairs,
but incorporating mmm-mode could result in massive changes all across
the board.

So here's the last question - is anybody using this mode now, or to be
more specific is anybody using it enough to warrant me squashing the
one or two easily fixed bugs before I rip the guts out?  If not I'll
just go ahead and ram heads with mmm-mode, but that will mean no
updates on the current mode for an unforseeable amount of time.

Cheers,
CY