Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: noweb

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: noweb
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 17:27:31 +0200

On 05/04/2006 10:53 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| Hi Bill, hello Gaby,
| | Look at this... | | http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00262.html

Many thanks.
Obviously, there have been many talks about this noweb thingy.  I just
don't understand why it lingers for so long.

| I would even say: Throw away the noweb sources, throw away this awk
| script and rather go to the Axiom sources and correct a usage of an
| undefined chunk. Why would one want to have undefined chunks in the
| first place?

If people agree that the undefined chunks are bugs, then this whole
noweb stuff is an unfortunate mystifying coverup.

| See also
| | http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00247.html | | That is a bug. Ahm, was a bug, because "noweb 2.11 - released 6 April
| 2006" (http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb/dist/noweb/CHANGES) seems
| to have corrected it. I've not yet time to check 2.11, though.

Do you think you will have a chance to test it soon?

-- Gaby

Below you find the example of the code that I sent to Norman Ramsey.
I've just downloaded noweb 2.11 and compiled it. No problem with the code below anymore. BUT... see next mail.

Ralf

--Mail from Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:02:55 +0200
--To:  address@hidden

Is it by design that

/usr/lib/noweb/markup test.nw > out.markup
gives

echo $?
2

and as output

test.nw:3: unescaped << in documentation chunk
test.nw:5: Module name doesn't end
test.nw:5: unescaped << in documentation chunk
test.nw:6: Module name doesn't end
test.nw:6: unescaped << in documentation chunk

for the little file test.nw

%%%%% test.nw %%%%%
A test file.

<<*>>=