Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 20:59:55 +0200

Hi Gaby,

On 04/07/2006 11:54 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Hello,

  As you now, Tim set up an SVN server for accessing the "silver branch"
of Axiom on sourceforge

    http://sf.net/projets/axiom

I would like to discuss the organization of branches and procedures.

That repository as far as I can tell contains all of current Axiom
sources.

As Tim said, its a copy of the CVS stuff. I am not completely sure but I would bet that this is the same as

  address@hidden

However, from the svn-log I only find that there is a "patch-45". No idea to what that corresponds.

My tla mirror of axiom--main--1 tells me

    address@hidden/axiom--main--1--patch-47
      book volume 1, cleanup
      Tim Daly <address@hidden>
      2006-01-02 18:03:49 GMT
    address@hidden/axiom--main--1--patch-46
      book volume 5, bug fixes
      Tim Daly <address@hidden>
      2005-10-31 01:33:51 GMT
    address@hidden/axiom--main--1--patch-45
      merge aldor patches, fix C code
      Tim Daly <address@hidden>
      2005-09-04 15:51:14 GMT

Hmmm.

I propose the following -- meaning I would appreciate feedback from
you -- for organizing the SVN repository:

  * have axiom/trunk contains the silver branch sources

Fine. You could even call it "axiom/silver" and "axiom/gold", if you want? ;-) But maybe that confuses people who are used to the "trunk", "branches", "tag" suggestion of the subversion people.

  * create axiom/branches/gold to contain the sources for the "gold branch".

I actually ask myself whether this gold thing is needed here at all, since Tim is actually maintaining it. Do you want to have axiom--main--1 just a "mirror" of Tim's axiom--main--1 thing?

  * people interested in experiments based on the silver branch will
    create  their branches as axiom/branches/xxx, where "xxx" is the
    name of a specific branch.

Fine with me. But somehow I would wish for the policy that branches and their details must be linked from an AxiomWiki page. Or are there Sourceforge tools to maintain such a webpage?

    I'll write a doc about how to create a branch, how to merge, etc.

Thank you that you took over this job.

Ralf