[Axiom-developer] Re: allprose missing file

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: allprose missing file
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:42:24 -0500

> That is fine, or nearly fine, say. ALLPROSE tries to produce one
> document, so all pamphlet files are handed over to noweave as one big
> file so that cross-referencing can be done via hyperref. In fact, also
> noweb adds some cross-references and indices.

one document per file was the original approach and was forced on me
because there was so much to convert. the new plan is to break the
system into volumes. on my machine i currently have 10 book volumes:

vol 1:  tutorial
vol 2:  programming
vol 3:  reference
vol 4:  developers guide
vol 5:  interpreter
vol 6:  compiler
vol 7:  browser
vol 8:  hyperdoc
vol 9:  algebra
vol 10: numerics

i'm trying to follow your lead by applying some of your ideas (though
not your code) to the other volumes. i've introduced the index and
the hyperref mechanisms. if we get it done right then it should be
possible to put all of the axiom documentation online with a call
to tex2html or some such tool.

the algebra volume is going to be different from the others but i'm
still pondering the structure.

> I looked through the sources but could not find a guideline of how
> .pamphlet files should look like. Obviously, Tim, your intention was
> that each file is a separate document (a complete LaTeX file with added
> <<CHUNKS>>). Where is the pamphlet structure described?

there isn't a guideline yet. it's evolving as i discover and steal new
ideas (like allprose).  there is a new section in the developer's
guide being drafted about how to write and maintain axiom within the
volume structure.