RE: [Axiom-developer] windows/linux coherency

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] windows/linux coherency
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:58:20 -0500

On Monday, December 20, 2004 6:35 AM address@hidden
wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2004 at 18:55, Tim Daly wrote:
>
> > i was under the impression that you had packaged texmacs
> > with axiom in the axiom.exe download for windows. i just
> > downloaded it, ran it, and found out that this was not
> > the case.
>
> If you think it could be useful, I can package texmacs +
> axiom for Windows? I had the impression that the general
> opinion was that it would be too large a download?
> But it would be smaller than the Rosetta CD anyway :-)
> Is there a demand?

Yes, I think there is likely to be a BIG demand for it.
Already the preliminary versions of Axiom for windows have
been downloaded more that 550 times in just 20 days. See

http://page.axiom-developer.org/usage/usage_200412.html#TOPURLS

and the daily rate of downloads continues to be quite high.
I would fully expect that considerably more than half of
these windows users would prefer the TeXmacs interface to
Axiom over the limitations of the native Axiom interface.

The NSIS installed that Dan Martens uses with WinTexmacs
and which he helped me setup for Axiom does a remarkably
good job of compressing binary files (typically as much
as 1/10 the original size). So I expect a combined TeXmacs+
Axiom for Windows would be less than 40 Mb. in size - not
too bad for those with high speed connections.

I would be very interested if you could prepare such a
combined installer.