Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Book

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Book
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:24:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:
> Actually the booklet program can join multiple pamphlet files.
> It allows you to make chunks with a protocol and a URI:
> <<pamphlet://foo/bar/baz.pamphlet>>
>
> I didn't use it because I wanted the book to be pure latex, at least
> until I was ready to do further integration work into the system
> which won't be for a while yet.

It's not really needed.  I think the reason I organized maximabook that
way was because there was a question of whether some parts should be
part of another book, and with discrete pieces and a control file all
someone had to do was tweak the control file and they could get a book
with just the parts they wanted in it.

> The "current wierdness", as you say, is my attempt at graphics in
> latex which I've never tried before. The key annoyance is that
> I've been unable to get two images on the same page.

Opps :-).  Sorry - it was just that I was unfamiliar with that style of
figure insertion. I thought someone had tweaked it for publishing
purposes or some such :-).

There is an includegraphics flag to force an image to be in a certain
place relative to some text, IIRC.  If you need that I can try and dig
it up.

> I'll look at what you did and try to copy it.

Well, most of what I did was basically hack and slash.  You might want
to check if that file works with the ps files - in theory it should,
but I didn't put it through the full run.

> I've downloaded both. The pdf looks good and the graphics are
> embedded properly. If I can fully understand what you (and BF and
> David) have been trying to tell me about pdfs I might start
> autogenerating them in the doc directory.

It shouldn't be too hard, given the presence of gs on the system
building it.  I don't know what to do about the ones that give errors
though.

> I ran into the bounding box problem also. I did add bounding boxes to
> most of the images I used but it was tedious.

They might prove better than the autoconverted ones though.

CY