[Axiom-developer] )show command blocks the interaction between TeXmacs a

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] )show command blocks the interaction between TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:54:30 -0400

David,

I do not have any problem with the )show Integer command
with my version of TeXmacs (most recent stable version
1.0.2) under RedHat 9.0. See attached PDF file.

The PDF file shows the problem with TeXmacs incorrect
interpretation of

  \root{3} \of {x}

Although this notation might be somewhat deprecated,
vis.

  \sqrt[3]{x}

I think it is acceptible to most current LaTex
implementations, so in my opinion this is best seen
as a limitation of TeXmacs.

If we do invent a new interface option such as Tim
suggested

  )set interface texmacs

then maybe rather than using the existing Tex
generation in Axiom, we should go to TeXmacs'
"scheme" notation which in some respects is more
general that LaTeX. Maybe this is too ambitious?

Also, you can see the error message generated by
AXIOM when it starts up

  "AXIOM Sockets The AXIOM server number is undefined"

I think we should try to get rid of this. Also, I think
we should review the text that Axiom outputs at startup:

Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
Sunday August 31,2003 at 7:30:21

This is not very relevant to users who access Axiom
from TeXmacs and boring to the experienced Axiom users
Maybe it would be better just to display a standard
banner with version information.

Cheers,
Bill Page.