[Axiom-developer] Re: TeX line breaking

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: TeX line breaking
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:58:34 +0200

Hello Tim,

> It doesn't optimize anything as far as I can see. Sutor's quite
> good at TeX stuff. Essentially it works by inserting \begin{array}
> which is the hack I needed. You can try it on an example by:
>
> 1) start axiom
> 2) type: )set output tex on
> 3) type: integrate(1/(x**3 * (a+b*x)**(1/3)),x)
> 4) cut the tex output starting with $$ and ending with $$
> 5) paste it into a buffer
> 6) replace the opening $$ with \[
> 7) replace the closing $$ with \]
> 8) save it into file foo
> 9) run texbreak <foo >foo.tex
>
> The texbreak code is attached. It appears to be quite Axiom specific
> and Axiom uses very old TeX syntax.

Thank you very much for the code. I misunderstood, I thought TeX
linebreaks were generated by Axiom from its internal knowledge of the tree
of the formula, not from an external program. I suppose Texbreak is an
ancestor of Techexplorer? As far as I remember, Techexplorer was able to
reformat formulas viewed in a web browser when changing the width of the
window. So, some kind of optimization of linebreaks in TeX formulas seems
to have been implemented in Techexplorer. Maybe Bob Sutor could provide a
newer, optimized version of Texbreak for Axiom, extracted from
Techexplorer perhaps ?

Best wishes,
Michel

address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden