Re: [avrdude-dev] Building Avrdude 6.3

From: Joel Ray Holveck
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Building Avrdude 6.3
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 21:05:39 -0700

Did you “make clean” or otherwise clear out the directory at the same time as
you deleted /opt?

Did Joerg’s suggestion help?

If the answer is “no” and “yes” respectively, then I offer the following
hypothesis.

The Unix build process doesn’t really have a good way to see that a previous
ranlib step failed, so if it sees that the .a file exists, it assumes that
ranlib succeeded.  (ranlib only changes the structure of an existing .a file;
on systems that need it, it’s generally run right after the .a is created in
the build process.)  When you reran make, it thought that ranlib succeeded
previously, and that assumption broke the later build steps.

In Joerg’s case, it sounds like the mingw32 cross-build might not properly
detect that it needs to run ranlib.  It’s not needed, for instance, on Linux.

joelh