[avrdude-dev] Stating the obvious, how to build under Windows XP

From: Larry Colen
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Stating the obvious, how to build under Windows XP
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:30:35 -0800

I don't know if this is the place to comment on avrdude documentation, but some comments on

http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/user-manual/avrdude_19.html

Perhaps I'm just dense, but I'd like to see a simple explanation of how to build avrdude in MinGW. In retrospect, it's blindingly obvious, especially for someone who is used to a unix environment.

These are my notes, they might help the next person who comes along.

1) download avrdude 5.11
2) download and install MinGW and msys
3) run MinGW
4) using windows copy avrdude source directory into home directory under mingw
5) ./configure
6) make

this was even easier than with cygwin.

I ran into a frustrating detail with cygwin, in that I can't seem to copy and paste between cygwin windows and XP windows.

Also for some reason set and echo didn't seem to work as listed on the webpage. I had already unzipped the source files, so what I ended up doing was:

 cd projectdir/avrdude/avrdude-5.11/avrdude-5.11
 export PREFIX=`pwd`
./configure LDFLAGS="-static" --prefix=$PREFIX --datadir=$PREFIX --sysconfdir=$PREFIX/bin --enable-versioned-doc=no
 make

--
Larry Colen address@hidden (from dos4est)