Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR-DUDE parallel port options not working

From: Dennis Clark
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR-DUDE parallel port options not working
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:44:31 -0800

Alex Shepherd wrote:
Alex,

How would I know if the port address was standard or not? If not, how can I tell AVR-DUDE what it really is? I do know (from other parallel port programmers) that my LPT1 port is 0x3BC.

That sounds like a standard port address.

I just had a look in the AVRDude user manual PDF that is in the WinAVR doc
directory and the problem you may have is that you may need to specify the
parallel port to by LPT3. Here is the segment from the manual found in:

C:\WinAVR\doc\avrdude-4.4.0\avrdude.pdf

----------------------
A.2.3.2 Parallel Ports
AVRDUDE will only accept 3 Windows parallel port names: lpt1, lpt2, or lpt3.
Each of
these names corresponds to a fixed parallel port base address:
lpt1 0x378
lpt2 0x278
lpt3 0x3BC
On your desktop PC, lpt1 will be the most common choice. If you are using a
laptop,
you might have to use lpt3 instead of lpt1. Select the name of the port the
corresponds to
the base address of the parallel port that you want.
----------------------

I just checked the source code and the LPT port addresses and names are hard
coded. Hopefully specifying LPT3 will fix your problem. Note the you can
also specify the port address in the avrdude.conf file that should be in the
C:\WinAVR\bin directory.

Since this is a Thinkpad A20M, a laptop, perhaps it is a bit different from a desktop unit. But I've found other parallel port programmers that were VERY picky work fine on it.

Yeah, they used to be but an IBM should be pretty good.

Try the different port using the "-P lpt3 option

  Nice.  That sure does sound like the ticket - Sadly, that document
is conspicuously missing in my Winavr doc directory, or I wouldn't
have asked the question.

** a sort of related question **
  Is there a place to grab these documents?  My Winavr\doc directory
only has these:
avarice, avr-libc, simulavr-0.1.2.1, srecord, tkinfo, ussp-20050207 and
the GNU Manuals Online and WinAVR

Thanks for the help folks, I'll be testing this out tonight!

DLC
--
Dennis Clark    TTT Enterprises