Re: [avrdude-dev] Yet another config parameter

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Yet another config parameter
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:28:50 -0500

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:11:18AM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> ...except for the AT90S1200 that doesn't offer this option.  This was
> probably the first AVR that offered ISP mode.

I didn't notice that.

> I wonder whether we should provide a "hold /RESET low until someone
> presses <Enter>" mode for avrdude, so a user can:
>
> . start avrdude, telling it to assert /RESET,
> . connect the AVR's power supply,
> . tell avrdude that it could start now (by pressing Enter).

Can this alse be acheived by using the -E exitspecs feature?  The
sequence might be:

        . avrdude -p 1200 -E reset       # pull reset low
        . apply power to the board
        . avrdude -p 1200 ...

I theory this may work.  In practice it might not if there is a buffer
chip in between the parallel port and the device (better programmers
have one), and if the /RESET line is going through the buffer instead
of directly connected.  If the /RESET is a pass-thru, bypassing the
buffer chip then it should work.

But in general, I think your solution would work for all boards,
whereas utilizing the existspecs would not work for all programmers.

-Brian