[avrdude-dev] Makefile.am

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Makefile.am
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:14:35 -0800 (PST)

Joerg,

Your change to Makefile.am breaks the build with respect to VPATH. We can't
use explicit source files names in rules if we want to allow building in a
separate directory from the source. I always build in a obj-<host> subdir,
thus I get this failure now:

main.o par.o pgm.o ppi.o stk500.o term.o  -lreadline -ltermcap
cp avrdude.conf.sample avrdude.conf
cp: cannot stat `avrdude.conf.sample': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [avrdude.conf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/troth/dev/tools/avrdude/obj'
make: *** [all] Error 2

If bsd can't handle $< correctly, we might need to change the rule to this:

avrdude.conf: avrdude.conf.sample
    cp $(srcdir)/avrdude.conf.sample $@

which works for me now:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/troth/dev/tools/avrdude/obj'
cp ../avrdude.conf.sample avrdude.conf
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/troth/dev/tools/avrdude/obj'

Did you try any rules like '$^' or '$?' ?  If nothing else works, we'll have
to use the rule with $(srcdir).

Although, we could still just rename the config file without the .sample?

Does the install program have a way to create a backup file when installing
a file over an existing one? I see that the gnu version has -b and
--backup[=CONTROL]. Ok, looks like bsd install has a -b option too, but they
has different semantics for -S (for gnu it names a suffix for backup, for
bsd it makes a safe copy).

Ted