Re: [avrdude-dev] Windows status + RFC

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Windows status + RFC
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:42:22 -0500

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:38:43PM -0700, E. Weddington wrote:

> Ok, now I understand what's going on with the stk500.
>
> Some of it was also my ignorance of avrdude's normal operation.
>
> The unknown response of 0x11 is a failure to enter programming mode.
> Which is a normal response if your stk500 is not hooked up to
> anything. So I hooked it up and did a read of my m128 successfully!

Excellent!

> The 0x11 response should not be unknown, it's a common response.
> Atmel's AVR Studio gives an error message for the same thing. This
> patch just gives a descriptive error message for this.

Hmmm ... I guess I'm trying to follow the documented protocol
published in AVR061 too closely.  That doc does not list 0x11
(Resp_STK_FAILED) as a valid response from the STK500 for that
command, thus avrdude considered it a protocol error (according to the
doc).  For other commands, Resp_STK_FAILED is listed explicitly as a
valid response so I explicitly checked for it in those cases, but not
this one.  Sorry about that :-/

So ... good catch!  Please commit.  You just saved me from trying to
get a Windows install going on my laptop to try and figure out the
problem, now I can spend that time doing something fun :-)

-Brian