Re: [avrdude-dev] RFC: fuse bit handling from a file

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] RFC: fuse bit handling from a file
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:58:28 -0500

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:08:06AM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Anyway, in order to make this happen, we also need programmer support
> for it.  It seems not very many of the programmers around in the
> windows world could handle this already, but avrdude can.  However, by
> now, all three possible fuse bytes need to be specified in a file by
> its own since they are covered by a separate memory space in avrdude.
> I'd like to see an additional "meta-fuse" memory space that allows it
> to use a single source (or destination) file for all (up to) three
> fuses.  Does this seem to be feasible?

I'm willing to do this for avrdude.  As you mentioned, avrdude would
prefer any fuses be in their own memory file, i.e., hfuse.hex,
lfuse.hex, etc since that would work today without any changes to
avrdude.  However, I can see how that might not be the best solution
for other avr tools.

A seperate memory section produced by avr-gcc/avr-libc, seems ok.
Within avrdude, I could look for a special memory type, "fuses" or
whatever, and then break that up and populate the seperate fuse
memories of whatever part is currenctly being operated upon.  Within
the avrdude.conf config file, it may be handy to tell avrdude at what
offset within the "fuses" memory section each fuse byte resides (and
the length - currently they are all one byte, but I don't know if
that's a guarantee for future parts).

Any way, yes, I do this for avrdude.  No problem that I can foresee.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean                                      address@hidden