Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0.5 released

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0.5 released
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:46:37 -0700

Paul Schlie wrote:

From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>
Which version of the autotools are you trying to use?

autoconf (GNU autoconf) 2.59
automake (GNU automake) 1.8.5

also installing 1.4 etc, isn't an insurmountable problem, just a minor pain,
as there are some cross incompatibles between different autoconf/automake
versions.

Ok, with my cygwin, I'm using autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9.2 and I can bootstrap avr-libc, BUT I have to do it manually and not run the reconf script.

If you take a look at the reconf script, most of it in the beginning is checking for proper versions of the tools, then at the bottom it does:

----------------------------------
set -x

${ACLOCAL}
#${AUTOHEADER}
${AUTOCONF}
${AUTOMAKE} --foreign --add-missing --copy
----------------------------------

If you take this and do it manualy, or in your own script:

set -x
aclocal
autoconf
automake --foreign --add-missing --copy

I've never had any problems with the versions that I use listed above.

It is a known task to update avr-libc to be able to use newer versions of the autotools; This was a task that Ted was working on, and there's even a CVS branch for it.

But perhaps a move to newlib could remove the need for this task as well.

Also a minor update, I experimented with disabling gcc's default promotion
of small integers (char/short) to int; and so far so good, now attempting to
also limit promoting enum's and bool's to the smallest integer type with
sufficient precision, as opposed to defaulting to int, which 99% of the time
will be a char, as most enums tend to be small; but will likely miss some
places for similar improvements, as GCC's expression manipulation code is a
bit tangled.

This would be great

In brief email exchange Richard Henderson, he's already expressed strong
concerns that it may effect proper/compliant C/C++ function selection
semantics, which I've just begun thinking about...

Sheesh! This is a can of worms....

But unfortunately don't have a great degree of confidence that it would be
easily accepted, as all targets would need to be tested, and although I
don't think it would be detrimental to other targets, it may effect some of
their optimization assumptions if biased toward assuming int types, but not
sure.
Well, is there any way to make it avr backend specific? That would
probably make it easier to get it accepted....

Unfortunately I doubt that a target specific patch to the C/C++ front-ends
would be acceptable (that's where the default initial promotions are being
done);
Agreed.

What about the idea of adding backend optimizers to check for this stuff?

Eric