Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] Licensing information

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] Licensing information
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:25:05 +0200

As E. Weddington wrote:

> Attached are IMO what the LICENSING and AUTHORS file should be.

Thank you!

> Now to the big problem: The original license file said that avr-libc was
> a Modified BSD License (with the No Advertising clause). However the
> "template" that it gave for new authors, only showed the original two
> clauses of the BSD license.

The original BSD license had four clauses, where the `No advertising'
clause was #3, and later officially dropped.  Individual *BSD
developers later on also dropped clause #4 ("name ... may not be used
to endorse"), which led to the two-clause template we had by now.

For those files where I hold the copyright, I don't mind whether it's
the 2-clause or 3-clause version.  I agree we should settle for one of
both, and see to convert the remaining files (given author's
permission).  It seems converting everything to the 3-clause version
is less work, so let's pick this one.

Thanks again!