Re: [avr-gcc-list] using exceptions

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] using exceptions
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 16:28:30 +0200

On 01/05/2012 17:18, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
My recent interests in AVR grew out of educational and research
activities -- as I explained in a relatively recent post on libstdc++.  I am
still learning AVR and its toolsets but I can definitely help with the C++ part.

We are in the situation where we would like to compile a restricted
subset of Haskell to AVR via C++ intermediate codes.

I will have a look at PR50925.

-- Gaby

I can't help wondering in all this - is it worth the effort? Are people /really/ going to program in Haskell for the AVR? Don't get me wrong here - I like functional programming, and would prefer to be able to do more of it. It is a programming style which lends itself to provably correct programming, and can give you small and neat code for many types of tasks. When programming on a PC in Python, I make heavy use of list comprehensions, lambda functions, decorators (which use functions as first-class objects), etc.

But on the AVR?

I can't help wondering what sort of tasks on the AVR are better coded in Haskell than C (or C++). And I can't help thinking that any Haskell program with real functionality would be terribly inefficient on an AVR. Functional programming languages have never been known for their efficiency, or their predictability in timing (lazy evaluation is wonderful - but it doesn't really fit in the real-time world). And the AVR has an 8-bit cpu, very little ram, and slow and limited pointer registers. Yes, you can use Haskell to make an LED blink - but can you do so without using most of the memory and processor capacity?

Maybe there are alternatives that could give a better compromise, such as OCAML (I haven't used it much, but the combination of functional and imperative programming support apparently gives very efficient compiled code, at least on 32-bit cpus) or Lua (it's an interpreted language, but good for embedding - although I've only used it on 32-bit cpus).

Another option may be to get C++ on the avr so advanced that lambda functions or functional programming libraries work with avr-gcc.

And while I hate to discourage someone helping to improving avr-gcc, I have to wonder if it would not make more sense to use a different platform, such as a Cortex-M4 with perhaps a hundred times the processing power for this sort of thing.

mvh.,

David